Monday, May 25, 2009

Independence

I have a furry friend named Misty the wonder dog. She is nothing special, it's just always a wonder if she will respond when I call.

Occasionally Misty gets loose. That happened yesterday. I called her, she took one look at me, then proceeded to trot across the street and down the neighbor's road. I followed, continuing to call her name.  Every now and then she would stop, turn to look at me, and then go on her merry way. Finally she got bored and came running. "We" were not amused.

And then I had a thought. It is often said that dogs reflect the personality of their owners. Misty is curious, a bit ADD, and very independent. In short, a lot like me.

I wonder if God ever gets as impatient with my ignoring Him as I do with Misty ignoring me. I can be just as headstrong as that dog, just as committed to "doing my thing."

I believe it is an example of our Creator's sense of humor that he put the two of us together to learn from each other. And I know that His grace is much greater than my own.

That silly dog is teaching me a lesson.  I want to be more sensitive and responsive to the voice of my Master.
"But humble, sincere, and conscientious obedience to the will of God, is more pleasing and acceptable to him than all burnt-offering and sacrifices. God is more glorified and self more denied, by obedience than by sacrifice. It is much easier to bring a bullock or lamb to be burned upon the altar, than to bring every high thought into obedience to God, and to make our will subject to his will. Those are unfit and unworthy to rule over men, who are not willing that God should rule over them."  Matthew Henry
"Samuel said, 'Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.'"   1 Samuel 15:22 (NASB)

jas sig