Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dance

It amazes me how God works, how he quietly speaks to me in the commonplace things of life. Two days ago on the iron acres blog I posted about dancing in elementary school. God used that childhood memory to stir something up in my heart.

Yesterday as I was preparing to meet my dear husband for lunch, the song "I Can Only Imagine" was playing on the jukebox in my head. My head is always full of music and I never know what selection will turn itself on.

Perhaps there is another hand guiding the choice.

I have always had a problem with the verse that goes, "will I dance for you Jesus?" That seemed like such a silly and inappropriate, even self promoting thing to do. Yes, I know that David danced before the Ark of the Covenant as it was brought back to Jerusalem. But that was David.

"When those who were carrying the ark of the LORD had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf.  David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might,  while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouts and the sound of trumpets." 2 Samuel 6:13-15 (NIV)

And yet . . .

Dance has always held a fascination for me. I attended a college dance recital a few years ago and found the joy expressed in movement surprisingly contagious. I wanted that experience.

And so yesterday I found myself with the question, is my problem not with dance but with letting go? Is Jesus inviting me further into his heart and away from my reticence, my fear of embarrassment, my need to control?

It all came together for me then, in the midst of my unsuccessful attempts to rid my thoughts of a "silly song". Jesus was inviting me into his arms for a dance of abandonment.

I want to learn how to dance.


jas sig