Monday, April 27, 2009

Surrender . . .again

Then he spoke to them all. "If anyone wants to follow in my footsteps, he must give up all right to himself, carry his cross every day and keep close behind me. For the man who wants to save his life will lose it, but the man who loses his life for my sake will save it. Luke 9:23-24 (JB Phillips New Testament)

My Dear Husband and I listened again to the Pray As You Go segment for last Thursday. It began with the song  "Surrender" that I posted here yesterday. Sitting together in reflective silence, God spoke again to our hearts.

I love it when God speaks. I think God loves it even more when I listen.

I am coming to a new understanding of what it means to take up my cross each day. The image of the cross as a burden to be shouldered is fading, being replaced instead with an image of the cross as a key.

What does this key unlock? A new life. A new life that is free from the unnecessary burdens I have carried for so long. The fear of disapproval is being replaced with the joy of being known as the beloved, the weight of striving to be perfect with the confidence that the Holy Spirit is changing what I cannot.

Christ's burden is easy. What makes the Christian life difficult is bringing too much baggage into it.  But Jesus is the ultimate gentleman. He has offered to carry it for me. There is incredible freedom in surrendering all that to Him.

Incredible freedom. 

And love.

jas sig