Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Simplicity

"'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight."

For 16 years I lived my dream of  having a hobby farm.  I faced the learning curve of animal husbandry with childish delight as a succession of creatures--honeybees, chickens, ducks, geese, llamas, horses, goats--came under my care. 

Yesterday, as I loaded the animals into a trailer for their journey to another farm,  I let go of that dream.. It was time. The severity of last winter helped make up my mind.

That, and the arrival of grandchildren. 

Farming has been a two edged sword. It brought me closer to the movements of the earth, the seasonal changes in God's creation, new life. But this dream also separated me from my family, from their lives, their interests.

I fear I was too selfish far too long.

But He who began a good work in me is not finished. As He shapes me into the image of His Son, He is helping me let go of the lesser things to take firm hold of the greater.

"When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come out right."

This is a journey away from complexity toward simplicity. A constant tuning, turning, away from my self and toward others. 

And, ultimately, toward Him.

jas sig