Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Songs

It is an old song, passed down to me by my spiritual ancestors. One that has been sung in many places and many tongues. A song of celebration, a song of hope.

"His love endures forever."

She said, "sing the song in your words, from your experience."

I felt it a sacrilege to tamper with tradition. This is the song of my ancestors. And yet...this is my song too.

"His love endures forever."

So I sat with the song. I listened to the Writer's voice. Then I haltingly began to sing Jas's 136th.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord, the God of gods, His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord, the Lord of lords, His love endures forever.
To Him who alone does great things, His love endures forever.
Who gave me life, both physical and spiritual, His love endures forever.
Who loves me with an everlasting love, His love endures forever.
Who gives me health and understanding, His love endures forever.
The example of faith filled parents, His love endures forever.
A godly husband, lover of truth and full of wisdom, His love endures forever.
Three children of promise, His love endures forever.
And three grandchildren of joy, His love endures forever.
Who so fashioned and numbered my days, His love endures forever.
That I might know and walk with Him, His love endures forever.
Giving me friends for the journey, His love endures forever.
Who love me and safely hold my heart, His love endures forever.
Whose tender hand brings both darkness to create desire, His love endures forever.
And light to satisfy, His love endures forever.
Who delights in my existence, His love endures forever.
Who raises up truth at the core of my being, His love endures forever.
And casts down idols of pretense, His love endures forever.
Who purifies and cleanses my soul as fine gold, His love endures forever.
And gently wipes away all tears, His love endures forever.
Who longs to share His life with me, His love endures forever.
That I might bear fruit for Him in old age, His love endures forever.
And know the pleasure of His presence always, His love endures forever.


And so I encourage you, sing the song today in your words, from your experience.

jas sig