Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hunger

Hunger is a gift.

I just wrote that as a comment on a young friend's blog. I don't know what that will mean to her. I'm not sure what it means to me. I do know God is asking me to sit with that thought for awhile, that there is a treasure to be found hidden in the words.

Hunger is a gift.

At a conference this summer, I heard someone say that God loves me too much to allow me to be satisfied with anything less than Himself, His Presence.

Hunger is a gift.

I just read this in the book Real Church, by Larry Crabb: "Spirit of God, deliver me from the illusion that someone or something available now, in this life, can satisfy my soul so completely that no longing remains unmet."

Hunger is a gift.

Perhaps I need to pray that prayer. I'm delusional. Perhaps I'm living like a dog eating scraps under the table when I could be seated and dining as a daughter.

I fear I am not hungry enough, but I also fear what will bring that hunger--the losses, the unmet expectations, the difficulties, the chaos, the pain.

But "God loves me too much to allow me to be satisfied with anything less than Himself, His Presence." Isn't that what I really desire?

Hunger is a gift.

jas sig