Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Daddy

Last night I was reminded of St. Patrick's Breastplate, a beautiful prayer that speaks of the presence of Christ in my life:
Christ before me
Christ behind me
Christ above me
Christ below me
Christ to left
and Christ to right
Christ within both day and night

It was a good reminder. Because I cannot see His face, hear His voice, feel His touch in the same way I feel, hear, and see others in this world, the hiss of the serpent is too often believed, "you are alone, you are helpless." I suppose that is why community is so important. They are the embodiment of Christ to me, for encouragement, comfort, companionship. And I am the same to them.

Technology has made it possible to reach out to each other on the internet as this post did for me today. The picture of a young father holding his newborn spoke volumes to me about the fatherhood of God, especially the tender love He has for me in my weakness and vulnerability.

"Daddy loves to hold me." 

I encourage you to take a look and experience your Father's love in a new way today.

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"  Hebrews 13:5-6  (NIV)

 The LORD appeared to us in the past,  saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."  Jeremiah 31:3  (NIV)

jas sig