Friday, May 8, 2009

Inheritance

A friend of mine is a gifted gardener.  I visited her and her garden yesterday.  She told me of her vision for her garden, what she wanted to plant and how she wanted it to take shape.  It sounds like a wonderful plan, and the fact that she wants to spend herself in making it come to pass, even though she may never see the end results, makes it even more special.

There are people in my life that caught a vision of what I might be, and spent themselves in seeing it come to pass.  Ancestors long gone that prayed for future generations to know Jesus and serve Him, and Christ himself, who, "for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God". (Hebrews 12:2)

Christ's joy was the redemption of God's creation, the restoration of fellowship for God's children whom He made in His image.

I look forward to that day when I will be able to thank those in person to whom I owe my spiritual inheritance, especially my Redeemer.   But for now, I want to be a tree of righteousness, "the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."  (Isaiah 61:3)   And I want to have a vision for my children, grandchildren, and great granchildren, spending myself in prayer that they might know their spiritual inheritance.
jas sig