Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Heaven

When I was a child, I pictured Heaven as streets of gold, pearly gates, and the Sistine Chapel rendering of God as an old man with a long beard.

That's not what I "see" now, through much older eyes.

My current glimpses of the reality of Heaven lie in the everyday ordinary things of this life, my son's compassion on a stranger lost in the night, the beauty of a dogwood bloom, the face of my granddaughter in the face a gypsy child in India,the awe filled tears that spill out of my eyes as I hear a worship song.

Heaven is no longer a someday thing.

It is now, in the glory of the moment spent with Jesus "doing unto others", loving for His sake, being silent before Him, tending my relationships.

I have always wondered at the story of Enoch who "walked with God and was no more." Few details are given of his life other than he communed with God so closely that the transition from earth to Heaven was a walk from one world into the next.

I want to walk like Enoch.

"Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." Psalm 16:11


jas sig