Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Falling Asleep

Last night my Dear Husband and I did some babysitting for a young couple who have a darling little two year old.

We see the little guy on a regular basis and have sat with him before, but this was the first time we put him to bed. Bedtime can be very traumatic for all concerned, so I carefully followed his routine. But the darling was not at all amused, nor willing, and began to wail. My DH rose to the occasion and came swiftly to the rescue, telling little guy that he would stay right there with him until he fell asleep. That did the trick. Little guy just needed the assurance that someone was there guarding him at his most vulnerable time, as he sank into sleep.

I am reminded of my father, and his final moments. I was out of town when the nursing home called and informed me the time for farewell was approaching. I scrambled for an emergency flight, but by the time I arrived, Dad had left this world. I wondered if he was alone, or if someone watched over him and held his hand during those final moments. That question still haunts me.  Daddy saw me into this world, and I felt it my responsibility to see him into the next.

When the accusation of failure raises its ugly head, I am comforted by the knowledge that there was someone there for Daddy, Someone very loving, who took his hand, whispered words of comfort and encouragement, and helped him change out of his worn and tattered earthly body into his new heavenly one.

"The Splendor of Paradise welcomed him with arms open wide."*

Just like the little guy, and my Dad, I need reminders that someone is watching over me, too.  What a comfort to know that my Heavenly Father is there.

“I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”- John 10:28-30



jas sig

------------------
*"When Heaven Calls", by Nicole C. Mullen