Friday, April 24, 2009

The Egg and I

Yesterday I discovered a tiny robin's egg laying on the ground, all alone. I glanced into the naked branches of the apple tree overhead to locate a nest, but saw none. How did this little egg end up here? On close examination, I discovered a crack. That crack meant the potential for bird song, flight, worm finding, and spring announcing would be wasted.

How sad.

There are cracks of imperfection all about my soul. They arise from my sin nature and my resulting choices. Although Jesus has dealt with the eternal consequences, there is a lot of dealing yet to do; allowing him to root out the lies I have embraced about who I am and who He is.

But for me, probably the most difficult dealing comes in allowing others to walk with me. It is much easier for me to walk alone. As I observed my Dad's mourning of my mother's passing, I was surprised by how he welcomed friends into his grief while my own desire was to shut others out.

In the last week I have felt myself withdrawing. I shared that with my dear husband last night, and he asked me why. I couldn't give him an answer. Perhaps I didn't want to look in my heart to see what was there.

I think I may have something in common with that beautiful but marred and abandoned egg. More important is the difference that sets us apart. God has not, nor will ever abandon me. He loves me and cares for me in spite of my imperfection. And he longs for that day when all will be set right within me.

As I learn to trust Him, and as I learn to trust and walk with others, that day will come. And on that day, my perfected potential, all our potential, will be transformed by the Holy Spirit, and we will take flight. Together.

I need to start practicing that together part now.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:1-2 (NIV)

jas sig